Health & Safety Policy
NJ Richards Ltd is committed to safeguarding the occupational health, safety, and welfare of all its employees by providing, so far as is reasonably practicable, a safe and healthy environment for all persons affected by the Company’s operations.
As a responsible employer, NJ Richards Ltd believes that effective health and safety practices contribute directly to the better performance of the Company as a whole.
The Company aims not simply to comply with health and safety legislation, but to attain higher standards through the adoption of recognised good practices and to provide industry leadership through our health and safety performance. The Directors are fully committed to achieving this through a programme promoting a positive approach to accident prevention and continuously improving the management of the safety and health of its workforce. We believe good health and safety is good business.
The Directors have ultimate responsibility for the Health and Safety Policy and has appointed Richard Neocleous as Director with particular responsibility for advising and informing on health and safety matters.
The Directors recognise that the principal means for adequate accident prevention is the development of a safe system of work. The Company has therefore produced systems and procedures for designing safe systems of work for those aspects of its principal activities which have been identified as high risk. All levels of management and operational staff are required to comply with the Company’s safety rules and procedures and to contribute to their further development.
The Directors also recognise that co-operation and consultation at all levels is essential in promoting a positive health and safety culture, so the Company has developed systems for both formal and collaborative communication on health and safety matters. In order to achieve the above principles the Company has put in place the appropriate resources and developed in-house systems to achieve the following aims:
- To make health and safety an integral part of the management of the Company.
- To maintain compliance with all relevant legislation and approved codes of practice as the Safety Policy as a minimum and to monitor new developments to continually.
- Improve the specified performance standards.
- To provide premises, plant, substances at work and places of work that are safe and without risk to health and safeguard the welfare of all the Company’s employees.
- To manage risk through a structured approach of policy, processes, training and awareness at all levels.
- To carry out our operations with due regard for the health and safety of non-employees and to provide prescribed information regarding those operations which may affect their health and safety.
- To ensure employees take reasonable care for their own and others’ safety and that they are competent and appropriately trained.
- To provide regular health checks and occupational health and support for all employees.
- To involve and consult with employees and where appropriate their representatives, to effectively communicate on health and safety matters.
- To sustain and develop this Policy by the implementation of an accredited health and safety management system.
- To measure our health and safety performance against the industries we operate within to determine areas for improvement we can adopt.
- To review the Health and Safety Policy on an annual basis and implement appropriate improvements.
- To bring changes to the Health and Safety Policy and Safety Management System to the attention of all employees.
This Policy Statement is supported by OHSAS 18001 compliant documentation and procedures detailing the Company’s organisation of responsibilities and the arrangements for implementing the strategy for health and safety management.
This information is made known to all employees through induction. This policy statement is to be posted on workplace notice boards. It is also made available to all employees and stakeholders on demand through the Office Manager.